What you need
- Aran weight yarn, e.g Drops Big Merino
- Size 5mm knitting needles
- Darning needle
RS right side
WS wrong side
yrn yarn round needle
p3tog purl 3 sts together
What to do
Make 4 squares (size approx. 12.5cms x 12.5cms each square)
N.B with this pattern the odd numbered rows are right-side facing (RS).
The right side (RS) facing is always having the “tail” on the left-hand of your work.
Cast on 23 sts
Rows 1-4 Knit (garter st).
Diagonal Trellis pattern ~
Row 5 (RS) Knit.
Row 6 (WS) K4, *(p3tog, yrn, p3tog) into the same 3 stitches, k1; repeat from * three more times, k3.
N.B see instructions How to work below
Row 7 (RS) Knit.
Row 8 (WS) K4, p1, k1 *(p3tog, yrn, p3tog) into the same 3 stitches, k1; repeat from * twice more, p1, k4.
Repeat Rows 5-8 five more times.
Row 29 (RS) Knit.
Rows 30 – 33 Knit (garter st).
Rows 34 (WS) Cast off.
How to work (p3tog, yrn, p3tog) into the same 3 stitches
This stitch combination has 3 parts;
- Insert tip of right needle into next 3 stitches purlwise. Purl together as one stitch but do not lift off left needle.
- Work a yrn (yarn round needle)
- Insert the right needle into the same 3 sts again. Purl the sts together and complete the stitch, passing it from the left to the right needle.