Date(s) - 19/07/2021
Category: Crochet for Beginners
As a child, my Grandma Mary taught me how to crochet. Using intricate crochet stitches she made the most exquisite lacework but also showed me with just a few simple stitches how to make these Sunburst ‘Granny’ squares.
If you have just started to crochet, then Mary’s Cushion is a perfect beginners project. It uses just 3 simple crochet stitches, slip stitch, dc (double crochet) and tr (treble crochet) for making this pretty retro-style Granny Square cushion.
In this 3 hour workshop, I will take you through each stage of the pattern step-by-step.
- How to read and follow the crochet pattern.
- Demonstrate how to crochet a complete square.
- How to ‘block’ your squares & sew them together.
- How to add a simple border to complete your squares.
- Finally how to sew the front and back together to complete your cushion cover.
These stitches and techniques can be found in other ‘Granny Square’ designs so this workshop will be giving you a great foundation for beginning any new projects and developing your beginner crochet skills.
Alongside the workshop I will also you a link to the PDF pattern with links to my videos showing you how to work each round as well as some additional Top Tips Tutorials which you can watch in your own time and work through at your own pace.
Mary Cushion Kit : £35
This design is made up of a total of 18 squares using 5 different coloured yarns worked in different combinations. I have chosen a lovely wool-mix DK weight yarn by Sirdar, the popular UK brand established in Yorkshire 1880.
Kit includes –
- 5 x 50 gm balls of Sirdar Country Classic DK
- size 4 crochet hook
- choice of feather or microfibre filled cushion pad, 30 cms x 30 cms
- darning needle
- complete Mary’s Cushion PDF pattern + links to my video tutorials
- one of my favourite cake recipes to enjoy!
I have put together 2 contrasting colour palettes, Light and Dark.
For pretty, ‘candy-box’ colours choose Light,
Or choose Dark for more dramatic impact
Cost for 3 hour class: £65 includes all materials (Mary’s Cushion Kit) tea, coffee and delicious homemade cake
Of course if you would prefer to bring your own yarn and materials just choose the option when booking.